Merry Christmas. KlayGE meets its release milestone, again. Today, KlayGE 4.6 is ready to release! There are many “first time” in this version, I’ll list them out below. In this version, because of some personal affairs, the bandwidth I spend on KlayGE is lesser than before. Fortunately, old and new team members have done a good job during the development. Also, there are many users provide great suggestions and bug reports. Thanks again for your help. The highlight features of KlayGE 4.6 are:
Improvements in engine
- Modernized OpenGL, assisted by Honyeung Lau. Adding OpenGL 3.x features such as uniform buffer, debug output, etc. OpenGLES plugin are also enhanced.
- Area lighting supports. Adding sphere and tube shape area light. (assisted by Kang Liu)
- More Android input devices, including keyboard, mouse, joy stick and more sensors.
- Environment lighting. Supports physically-based environment lighting.
- Full app life cycle. Supports suspend and resume on mobile platforms.
- Advanced texture compression library. Supports decompression of BC1-7 and ETC1/2, fast and high quality compression of BC1-5 and ETC1.
- Model viewer and material editor. (assisted by Shenghua Lin, introduces C# WPF UI for the first time)
- Experimentally supports OSX. (Done by Kanglai Qian. Porting to a new platform by a team member for the first time. Land on an Apple’s platform for the first time)
Improvements in engineering
- CMake-ified Boost, easier to build.
- Introducing C# for UI, cross-calling with C++ core.
- Take x64 as the default build for the first time. If you need x86 binaries, please build it yourself.
- Not building with xp toolset for the first time. If you need running on WinXP, please build it yourself.
Improvements in mobile
- Supports Windows Phone.
- Supports WinRT ARM.
- Supports 64-bit Android. (For the first time supports an unreleased platform)
- Customized stream buffer, improving package file reading on Android.
- Multiple bug fixed
KlayGE 4.6 is still in dual licensing: A open source license GPL and a proprietary one KlayGE Proprietary License (KPL). Details in Licensing.
You can download KlayGE 4.6 here. Happy new year everyone.